Theatre is a lot like life. You may find yourself doing the same things over and over, but you can inject those things with spice, do them a little differently every now and then, throw in a hoop for the others with you to jump through. There are different stages of your life- there are different stages of a show, different shows, different literal stages that a show may be performed on. There are no days exactly the same- there are no two shows performed exactly the same. You may do the best show of your life and never experience that feeling again. But it's okay, because you experienced it then, and you experienced it.
Having fun, breaking character, responding to unforeseen difficulties, jumping a cue or missing it altogether- all these things happen in theatre and in real life.
I'm not sure if I believe in destiny enough to alike that aspect to theatre, but like Assassins "The Ballad of Booth" says:
Someone tell the story,
Someone sing the song.
Every now and then
The country
Goes a little wrong.
Every now and then
A madman's
Bound to come along.
Doesn't stop the story-
Story's pretty strong.
Doesn't change the song...
I connect with musicals, I connect with the emotions they exploit and even though the dialogues never (rarely never, thanks to [title of show]) a perfect metaphor, the feeling is. The story is what I understand, despite the gags, despite the pimping, despite the melody or setting or characters or even actors- it all boils down to the story in the end, and everyone's got a story. And that story's doesn't stop for anything short of death (and even beyond that for some of people).
No comments:
Post a Comment